Friday, May 1, 2009

BEING THE GUILLOTINE OR THE CALM

With this whole swine flu-excuse me, H1N1, pandemic in the news, it occurs to Confucius Cat that these humans are sheep.  

*Momentary silence as CC considers all the animals in that last sentence.*

What I mean is that the panic among the humans is increasing as the media coverage herds them into more and more of a frenzy. More and more cases are reported. The flu is in more states, more countries. There are doctors with dire projections and possibilities about world wide possible deaths and even whether the flu might mutate.  

I don't know whether this coverage of the swine flu is justified or whether what is really a pretty normal flu outbreak is being blown out of proportion. What I do know is that this is an illustration of how easy it is to whip people into a frenzy and lose yourself in that whirlpool of panic.  

Instead, it is my advice to stay calm.  Whether real or hype, what good will panic do for you or anyone else in situations such as this.

And so to paraphrase Rudyard Kipling, Confucius Cat say: if you can keep your head as all those about you are losing theirs, you're either calm...or the guillotine operator.  Be the calm!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very wise CC. I can sometimes let myself panic. But if I concentrate on calm, I can achieve it.